Q12: How will we support your child when they are leaving this school OR moving on to another class?
We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any
transition is a smooth as possible.
- If your child is moving child to another school:
- We will contact the school SENDCo and ensure she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
- We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
When moving classes in school:
- Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases, a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. Support plans will be shared with the new teacher.
- Your child will take part in transition visits to their new class in order to familiarise themselves with their new environment and get to know their new Class Teacher and Teaching Assistant with whom they will be working.
- In some cases, a Pupil Passport, One Page Profile or Transition Book will be made for your child, in order to help them understand and prepare for moving on.
In Year 6:
The SENDco and Year 6 Teacher will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCo of their secondary school.
Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.